When: Saturday, May 25, 2019
Time: Arrive at 8:30 am – program begins at 9:00 am Where: Knoxville National Cemetery, 939 Tyson St, Knoxville, TN 37917 (423) 855-6590
Instructions on how to place flags:
• Family and friends of those interred will pick up their flags first
• Groups should start at the end of one row and complete that row before moving on
• Adults will canvas the cemetery to ensure the flags are placed correctly
• Flags will be provided and located at stations throughout the cemetery.
• Flags will be distributed to each scout in small quantities so that everyone has a chance to place flags
• One flag should be placed 12” in front and in the center of each marker
• Flags should be set in an upright vertical position
• Use a tool to make a hole for the flag stick. Do not try to shove the flag stick directly into the ground as it will break.
• Flags DO NOT touch the ground!
1. Scouts should be in Field Uniform
2. All scouts under 13 must be supervised by an adult
3. Please remember that this is sacred ground and should be respected at all times
4. Please bring tools to aid in making a ¼” hole in the ground for the flag stick (a battery powered drill and paddle bit or concrete bit work great for this. A large Philips head screwdriver is another option – you may want a rubber mallet as well with that one)
5. Please bring a 12” ruler to help with spacing
6. This event will occur rain or shine so bring rain gear if needed
7. In the event of severe weather, adults are responsible for the safety of scouts in their care